Why is rice so hard to make?

I cannot for the life of me cook rice without screwing it up. I had a rice cooker for a while, but it broke. I figured, okay I've come a long way since I used to cook rice on the stove top. I'll just make a little bit in my small saucepan, I'll follow the directions explicitly. (I had a bag of long grain brown rice.)

Two cups of water, one cup rice, teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, turn down to low, cover, cook for 35 to 45 minutes. After 35 minutes, the rice wasn't burnt or anything, but it was little to no water left, and the rice still had too much bite. So I added about a quarter cup more water. 10 minutes later, the rice at the bottom of the pan was scorched. And even better, the rest of the rice was still undercooked.

What am I doing wrong?

submitted by /u/carolbutthurt
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2S5Wplk

Comments