Trying to use sourdough starter, what causes the dough to be like silly putty? It's just slack and dense.

I have been doing a typical sourdough starter, mixing 1 part starter to one part flour to one part water and it's going fine, smells a bit tangy and overnight it double in volume. But when I mix about 1 part starter and 2 parts flour (about what KAF recipe states and add about half portion of yeast as insurance, but it didn't rise after about two hours in the oven. I've made plenty of bread the same way and kneaded the dough to the same consistency but there sourdough bread feels more like working with plastic or loose taffy or something. I've been using discard and the first loaf was fine, the second was kind of like this but eventually rose, and this was just a dud. I even added more flour and kneaded but it still felt bad, like any flour I add instantly gets tainted with bad gluten development. Adding water doesn't help either.

Semi related but this time it developed a hard shell on top, it looks like it wouldn't have rose anyway but not sure why. I've had it happen a couple of times before too. I put the oven light on and a cup of boiling water to give some humidity but rarely it does this, maybe from it being in the oven so long and not rising?

submitted by /u/permalink_save
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/36eyngn

Comments