Temperature of Pan for Cooking Steak

Everyone always says that your cast iron pan should be the hottest in can be to get a good sear on a steak, so I tried following that direction. I preheated my 12' cast iron pan for an hour 500F then put it on the electric stove max heat for another 5 minutes. Then, when I tried putting grapeseed oil, an oil that has a high smoke point, it flared up and smoked like crazy. I have no way of getting fat in the pan because it all burns away, so I ended up putting a salt + pepper ribeye with no fat which skyrocketed the amount of smoke. One side was completely burned and not seared which I didn't even think was possible.

​

I had to completely turn off the heat, flip the steak over, and let it coast with the other side while butter basting. In the end, my steak was well done.

​

The end result wasn't the absolute worst, but how do I know when my cast iron pan is ready without using a zap thermometer? Thanks.

submitted by /u/Suspicious_Ride1083
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/36enJ9q

Comments