Temperature of Pan for Cooking Steak

Everyone always says that your cast iron pan should be the hottest in can be to get a good sear on a steak, so I tried following that direction. I preheated my 12' cast iron pan for an hour 500F then put it on the electric stove max heat for another 5 minutes. Then, when I tried putting grapeseed oil, an oil that has a high smoke point, it flared up and smoked like crazy. I have no way of getting fat in the pan because it all burns away, so I ended up putting a salt + pepper ribeye with no fat which skyrocketed the amount of smoke. One side was completely burned and not seared which I didn't even think was possible.

I had to completely turn off the heat, flip the steak over, and let it coast with the other side while butter basting. In the end, my steak was well done.

The end result wasn't the absolute worst, but how do I know when my cast iron pan is ready without using a zap thermometer? Thanks.

submitted by /u/Suspicious_Ride1083
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/36enJ9q

Comments