Avoiding soggy skin when roasting a chicken on top of vegetables

I absolutely love roasting vegetables underneath a chicken. All of the fat and juices drip down into the veggies and make them so more flavorful with no extra effort. But the main problem is the steam coming off the vegetables makes the skin on the bottom of the chicken soggy instead of brown and crispy like the top.

The first time I tried doing this myself I just plopped the whole chicken on top of a roasting pan of veggies. The result was obviously that the entire underside of the chicken was soggy. I then tried using a wire rack over the roasting pan of veggies, hoping the small distance between the two would help, but it really didn’t do much.

I’ve recently started butterflying chickenS over the summer for grilling. So I’m trying that this time so that the vast majority of the skin is facing upwards and should hopefully brown well. But there’s those pesky thighs and side bits of skin that I’m worried will still get steamed and not crispy.

Is there anyway to avoid this? I don’t have a convection oven so that isn’t an option. I’ve thought of roasting the chicken directly on the oven rack well above the veggies below, but having to clean the rack plus the possibility of splatter across the oven just doesn’t seem worth the effort.

Any other ideas? Or am I pretty much doing everything I can and have to live with 80% crispy skin?

The chicken is currently butterflied and dry brining in the fridge for a roast tomorrow night.

submitted by /u/spade_andarcher
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/30ADELR

Comments