I instinctually cut the heat when adding cream to finish a sauce. Am I right to do so?

I have been cooking for a long time and after learning so many recipes and food science tidbits, I can typically rely on my instincts to get the results I'm looking for. Tonight I made a ragout with garden vegetables, herbs, vinegar, and mushrooms cooked for a long while and hit it with a little cream at the end. I promptly pulled it off the heat and then wondered how I learned to do things this way as opposed to reducing the sauce further after adding the cream. Am I missing anything by not letting the cream reduce, or is there a food-science explanation as to why you'd want to kill the heat after adding dairy to a somewhat acidic (tomatoes and vinegar) sauce?

submitted by /u/libuh
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/34BEXNi

Comments