Doubanjiang smoke

I’ve been using a doubanjiang that comes about as highly recommended as any available American brand in the wok for Szechuan recipes. I was glad my local Asian market carried it but they just carry this brand. So my question is: anyone else find that when it hits the wok it releases a vapor that immediately permeates the room and sends everyone into coughing fits? It doesn’t really dissipate for an hour either. I experimented with other ways of adding it—even pulling the wok off the heat entirely for a minute or two, adding, stirring and reintroducing to the heat. No better. Funny thing is it’s not that spicy when you eat it. It definitely has to do with the heat because a little later I went to clean out the wok with very hot tap water and got the Cloud if Coughing again! And yet it absolutely has to get hot in order to properly incorporate it into the sauce ... anyone else find this? Or find a solution?

submitted by /u/tcm3048
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/39DD17a

Comments