Bread dough flaky/falling apart?

I'm making dough for a muffuletta sandwich. This is the second time I've made this, last time the same issue happened. The end result was good but i'm still curious why my dough doesn't turn out correctly. When I make the dough, as I'm mixing/kneading it with the mixer, it comes together as flakes and I have to knead it into a ball manually, but the ball never becomes smooth. there's always deep cracks and flakes coming off of it. I've tried adding water to it, and it only makes the dough stickier, which i guess is good but it doesnt seem to fix the brokenness of the dough.

Im using a recipe from Joshua Weissman

3/4 cup water + 2 teaspoons instant yeast, left for 10 minutes
2 3/4 cup bread flour
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons shortening

The recipe calls for a stand mixer but I only have a hand mixer with a spiral hook. That could be the problem, as its lowest speed is still pretty fast.

submitted by /u/VolvoxBazooka
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2VDRgn5

Comments