Pasta fell apart when rolled (but only the first half)

So I've made pasta before, but not for a couple of years.

I made some pasta yesterday, using 200g 00 flour and 2 eggs, and after kneading it rested it in the fridge for about 3 hours.

I divided it into 2 before rolling it in my machine. The first half would not stay together, no matter how many times i put it through on the widest setting. It was almost crumbling as it came out of the rollers with large cracks in the middle if the sheet. Eventually, I kneaded a bit of water in and after lots of passes it came together.

However the second half, which I didn't do anything to, rolled out properly straight away. It needed a few passes through, of course, but worked as you would expect.

So I'm confused. Did the dough just need to come to room temperature before I rolled it, or did the extra 30 mins rest make a difference, or is it something else?

submitted by /u/mynameisangusprune
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/3guAq2O

Comments