Issue with sugar syrup coming to temp

So I’m trying to make macarons (Italian method) for my extended family on the eastern seaboard in the U.S. I’ll tell my method at home (Ohio) then what my issue is here.

I’ve made macarons roughly 15 times while I figure out what method does/does not work for my house, my location, etc. I have MUCH better luck with Swiss or Italian method than French. At home, I use a not-copper pot with a Pyrex dish for my bain-marie at home because I don’t have metal dishes to use. Sugar syrup goes fine, macarons go pretty well. All right, I feel like I have a good enough handle on these now to make them with other people.

NOW, here on the eastern seaboard, I used tap water with the sugar syrup because that’s what I’m used to doing at home. But I forget that the tap here is funky as heck, so I redo with bottled water. BUT here’s my consistent problem: my syrup needs to get to 118°C, but I could go gray while I’m waiting for it to decide to move past 90°C. And I’m using a metal bowl on top of the hot water bath, because I don’t see any Pyrex bowls at the house we’re staying at. Am I missing something here on why it’s not getting to temp?? The stuff sat over boiling water for at least 10 minutes, and only went up like 5°. Am I just being impatient or if there some factor I’m missing?

submitted by /u/xocomama
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2TDox0F

Comments