Help with herbs and spices

I have a bunch of questions on herbs and spices. Sorry bout the long post!

  1. When is it better to toast my spices before use? Specifically cumin, white peppercorn, and black peppercorn. I know it changes the flavor, but what does that actually mean for those spices I mentioned.
  2. How does dry toasting vs toasting in oil change flavors?
  3. Should I toast before grinding to get maximum flavor? Or for something basic like peppercorns, can I just skip straight to the grinding?
  4. I hear about toasting spices but does toasting dried herbs do anything?
  5. Does grinding dried herbs bring out more flavor?
  6. I've heard that letting dried spices/herbs sit in water for a bit before cooking helps bring out their flavors. Is this true?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/strangefruit3500
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2XaG9mr

Comments