Why does it take way longer for me to cook ingredients on a pan than recipes call for?

For example, I was making this tonight and the recipe calls for cooking the chicken "until well browned, 2–3 minutes". It ended up taking more like ~7~10 minutes to get the chicken browned. This was despite the chicken being (very) defrosted and sitting out on my kitchen counter for ~1 hour. To be clear, the chicken was throughly defrosted in my refrigerator before I let it sit on the counter.

Later on in that same recipe, the instructions say "[toss] occasionally, until sauce is reduced by more than half and thickens, 2–3 minutes." Again, it ended up being more like ~7~10 minutes before the sauce was substantially reduced/thickened.

This phenomenon (cook times on a pan being way longer than the recipe claims) always happens: across many kitchens and pans (gas, electric, non-stick, aluminum, etc.). What am I doing wrong? And yes, I do set the temperature to whatever the recipe calls for (typically medium-high).

Bake times on recipes have always been accurate for me.

submitted by /u/WiF1
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/3auDTuB

Comments