Using up dairy ingredients in a cheesecake?

Just a home cook here: I’m trying to use up orphaned ingredients in my fridge. I recently made America’s Test Kitchen’s Lighter Cheesecake (unofficial recipe linked) and it was great; it uses low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat cream cheese and Greek/strained yogurt in place of the more traditional ingredients. I now have those leftover dairy products taking up space in my fridge, and no real intention of doing anything with them (not a big cottage cheese/yogurt fan); but I don’t have the quote right proportions of each to make the recipe properly. I also have an unopened 4oz package of goats cheese that is near expiration.

I can’t quite see what the difference is between blended cottage cheese, strained yogurt or soft, mild cheese, in the grand scheme of things. Can I just pool what I have together, maybe throw an extra egg in just in case, and make a “quarantine cheesecake? Obviously it would not be the same, but as long as it sets and tastes good, I’m happy. Any reason not to?

submitted by /u/m4gpi
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/3dqwqyy

Comments