Trying to create a coffee-flavored syrup, but difficulty with getting the consistency and color just right

So in the past week I've been experimenting with building a coffee-flavored syrup. It's not quite right, and here are the attempts I've made so far. Curious to hear your suggestions.

Attempt #1
I know how to make simple syrup, so for my first pass, I basically made a 1:1 simple syrup but instead of regular water I used fresh coffee made from a french press. Cons: very thin (basically the way simple syrup is, so I should've known that). A bit bland from the amount of coffee I used (tasted more like simple syrup that happened to be somewhat brown). A lot of coffee sediment from using the French Press and not filtered perfectly.

Attempt #2
This time I made a stronger pot of french press coffee, but then I passed it through 3 separate coffee filters and then a fine sieve. The result was a pretty clean coffee with almost no sediment. I used more sugar (2:1) and simmered the syrup for longer to force it to reduce and thicken, which it did. Cons: coffee flavor was there, but way too sweet from using so much sugar, and the reduction time burned the coffee which was unpleasant.

Attempt #3
I decided this time to thicken with Xanthan Gum. Made a stronger cup of coffee and filtered as I did in my last try, but this time went back to a 1:1 simple syrup ratio and let cool. I put it in a blender and slowly added a teensy bit of xanthan gum, like 1/8th of a tsp. It definitely got me closer to the thickness and flavor I want, but now the con is: it turned the mixture a light milk chocolate color! It looks and tastes like coffee flavored with milk, though no cream was added. I assume the whiteness is from the xanthan gum but I didn't expect so little would turn the whole thing a light creamy shade.

Basically all I'm trying to do is create something with the thickness of a maple syrup, but the color and flavor of dark coffee. Any ideas what I could try? Thanks!

submitted by /u/wingleton
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2UvNsUD

Comments