Hot Spices and how to replace them?

Hi everyone,

I've been getting into cooking as a hobby on the weekends and been enjoying cooking for my family, but wanting to expand my experience and try out new things, has made me stumble upon hot spices :(.

Simply put, I can't stand even the smallest amount of heat, I seem to be hyper sensitive to hot pepper spices and pepper corns. (Interestingly enough, I can handle Wasabi and love to put it on all my Sushi in small amounts.)

Anyway, when wanting to make things like Mexican food or sometimes just a random dish, the recipe will often call for Chili powder or Cayenne Pepper. As mentioned, thats just impossible. Also considering I'm cooking for young teens/children.

This brings me to a couple questions.

Do these hot peppers really taste like anything that would give the dish a signature flavor, or is it just heat?

And what can I use to replace something like Chili Pepper Powder or Cayenne Pepper but still get the proper flavor profile, just without the heat?

Is it acceptable and a good idea to just completely replace the amount of said spices 1:1 with non-spicy Sweet/Smoked Paprika Powder? Because normally I'd just skip the hot spice if it's a small amount, but sometimes the recipe calls for overwhelmingly large amounts which make up most of the spice mix.

Thank you for any information and help, Happy Cooking!

submitted by /u/xC0DEB10C
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2UV56ju

Comments