Vegetable Chintan - how to clarify vegan stock?

I'm working on a menu for a ramen/small plates joint, and I've got my vegan broth option where I want it as far as flavor goes, but my issue is that getting it there results in a fairly cloudy product. It's not a deal-breaker, but I experimented with running it through a coffee filter and despite being incredibly tedious and wasteful (I had to use many filters as they clogged pretty rapidly) it resulted in some really beautiful broth.

I was wondering if anyone has experience clarifying large amounts of vegan stock, preferably mechanically, but any method really. I'm familiar with agar or gelatin clarification, but due to the amounts involved and the physical space in the kitchen/freezer, those aren't really viable options.

If you're wondering, it's mostly because several of the ingredients used are in juice/paste form; it's a vegan stock "concentrate" that you mix into a dashi, bring to a boil and then remove from heat and strain. Lots of little bits floating around from tomato paste, shiitake powder, carrot juice, etc. Keeping everything that you can keep whole, whole, doesn't get the flavor where I want it to be, and there's still some ingredients that cloud the final product.

submitted by /u/Riddul
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/37MbeQx

Comments