I made the Hazan sauce *really* wrong, and I need advice on how to get it working properly

Hiya

I've been making Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce a lot lately, because it's simple, tastes great, isn't loaded with sugar like pre-made sauces and makes up a whole ten of my five a day!

OK, it turns out I've been making it wrong. I've been intending to make two portions for myself, because I've had a tendency to skip breakfast and sometimes lunch, but I think I've been getting my ratios wrong.

My current ingredients list:

  • 2-3 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 onion, peeled and halved
  • salt (basically just whatever I think is right at the time)
  • 4oz wholemeal penne
  • fresh oregano if I can get it
  • 2 tins plum tomatoes

Again, I thought this would make two portions of the sauce (apart from the pasta, which is between one and two). But, while talking to my flatmate about it, I realised that two tins of tomatoes is actually the amount for four portions! I did think it had been sitting a bit heavily on my stomach.

Now, I can't remember when I started using two tins. I'm fairly certain I started off using one tin, as that would further explain why I ate two portions (because that was the least I could make). With Christmas and New Year's, and moving flat, there was a bit of a gap between when I last made the sauce and when I made it again. I'm fairly sure I'd been buying my tomato tins in multiples of two for a while, and that practice presumably stems from using two tins, right?

My questions are these:

submitted by /u/SongOTheGolgiBoatmen
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/36HL7IQ

Comments