Help with Emulsions

One of my mise en place jobs involves making an emulsion, The emulsions consists of cooked egg yolks (sous vide at 65ºC for 45 min), beef garum, and smoked dry aged beef fat. My head chef showed me how he makes the emulsion using 3 cooked yolks, 50 grams of beef garum, then using a stick blender and slowly drizzling in the 'not hot but cold enough to be pourable' rendered beef fat in a continuous stream. Every time I've watched him make this emulsion he ends up with a thick, set, almost solid emulsion (think chocolate mousse but incredibly dense and thick) within 5 minutes which is the end product he wants. I've tried to replicate this and any time I've always ended up with a thick, heavy mayonnaise style product which reaches the desired consistency after leaving for an hour or two. My head chef is seemingly fine with this as I plan ahead and get this prep job done early enough that it has the one or two hours to set for service, but I'm wondering what could possibly be the difference between mine and his techniques that he manages to get the desired incredibly thick consistency without having to let it set. My first thought is temperature, whether that be from using rendered fat which is too hot or the stick blender heating up the emulsion too much, but my head chef also consistently says I'm not beating enough air into the emulsion by using vigorous up and down motion while drizzling in the fat.

Any insight would be appreciated.

submitted by /u/UnconvincingWriter
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/30ZxsvK

Comments