Basing extra veggie soup on corned beef cabbage and carrots maybe potatoes, plus chicken soup with mirepoix but I don't like some things. Going to add sausages. How to put this together, but also have a good vegetarian option for a friend?

I like veggies in soup to splash broth as I chew them, but many additions seem dry to me, like carrots and potatoes. Large chopped onions, celery, and cabbage come to mind for juicy veggies. Those are flavors and textures that I think of when making a soup meal, either with my boiled corned beef and cabbage with it's prepackaged seasoning and salt from the corning of the beef, or making a chicken soup...so I decided to leave out the "dry" ingredients and make a soup. Potato and carrot seem dry when eating them from soup. I like them, and while delicious, they change the general texture of the whole meal. I realized this doing a chuck roast and veggies recently. The whole meat turned dry even tho soaked in broth. While that's a different issue, it's the same with potatoes and carrots, for the meat I'm going with sausages because some sausages just do well boiled. Going to add hot links with the franks for the spice. So Onion, cabbage, and celery all retain the broth. I decided to add bok choy and considering pouring the whole thing over sprouts as I like them with my Pho. I've thought about leeks, talked about zucchini, wondering at any other veggies that might go with the chewing flow? The wild ingredient I bought is tomatoes, to chop up to cook down in the broth to add some acidity to it. In my head is the flavor of grilled cheese dipped in tomato soup so I don't have a firm idea on the flavor I'm wanting from that. I have ideas and thoughts but it's not like I really know food. I can throw this together, but does anyone have a strong thought from any of this of how to put it together and make it over the top? I'm sure I can make a decent soup anyway. Thought I'd ask.

edit: title bad. Only thinking of vegetarian because thinking of the flavor of corned beef or chicken soup I think there's a flavor there that I'm thinking of. I was considering that when I started, but I think the basic flavors of at least the corned beef seasoning pack plus extra salt should work. I can't change title.

submitted by /u/ChironiusShinpachi
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2RSz5qH

Comments