Grinding lump Hing/Asafoetida - hard grape sized "salt"

Hey everybody. I've never posted here before, but I have a very specific problem someone might know a solution to. I have a ridiculous bunch of food allergies, and have recently had to cut garlic and onion (wahhh! I hate it) from my diet. I found a substitute, but it is a pain to process - Asafoetida or Hing are the two most common names for it.

It comes either preground and mixed with like 50% fenugreek, which I don't really like, or it comes in rather large very hard lumps of resin. The lumps it comes in are about as hard and brittle as rock salt. I bought a mortar and pestel, which does work, but it is very labor intensive and slow. I also feel like I need to wear eye protection because the first break is liable to send pieces flying. I also tried breaking some lumps up into somewhat smaller pea-size pieces and ran them through my very old pepper grinder that I'm about to replace. The pepper grinder has a steel mill in the bottom, and it ground the pieces that fit into it no problem into a good consistency/size.

Is there a grinder that essentially can take medium-grape sized pieces of salt and grind it all the way down to a fine consistency? I feel like it would need to have a really large inlet for the big pieces, and I'm hoping someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: this might be grinds le in a burr coffee grinder, but the grinder would smell like this forever. Anything with blades isn't going to survive the use on this.

submitted by /u/Polymathy1
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2ETdpoE

Comments