Should I be able to wipe this much gunk off my new cast iron?

So I set up my new 12" Lodge skillet today, rinsed it lightly, dried it, applied my seasoning oil lightly and wiped off excess, baked it upside-down at 400F for an hour. Repeated this again once more. The oil I used to season was Caron & Doucet cast iron oil, which seems to be coconut-based.

I used it to cook some ground beef for tacos, just some olive oil, medium ground beef and seasoning at medium heat. I had added some water and let it simmer, then dumped the excess grease before serving.

I washed it a few minutes after eating, warming it on the burner before using hot water to rinse. I added some kosher salt and used a wire brush to scrub it, and scrape off foodstuffs. After that I pat it dry and put it on the burner again. Then I added a light amount of canola oil to a paper towel and used that to reseason, wiping off the excess.

I noticed I was getting some residue on my paper towel as pictured https://imgur.com/a/UXTJq90/, which some people seem to get from their cast iron apparently. It's enough to come off on my fingers if I wipe across the surface. It doesn't seem to be visibly flaking though.

Did I screw up the seasoning? It seems to mostly be coming off of the cooking surface, not the rest of the pan.

submitted by /u/Qdox
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2QUJjbe

Comments