Butternut Squash Crisis Management

I have two butternut squash, Thanksgiving plans for each of them, and a sincere desire not to go back to the store this week. Seeking input on whether I can get away with this after a fridge fail.

One of the squash was at the very back of the fridge, courtesy of my spouse who was afraid it would spoil while I was away for a few days. I pulled it out to peel and cube it, and it felt vaguely soft and pulpy. Oh no, I realized, there's a cold spot. Yep, it had frozen, or semi-frozen, and thawed.

I cut it open and it was incredibly soft and incredibly wet. I couldn't use the peeler on it, so I long-sliced and peeled it with a knife like a cantaloupe, cut it into sad, slushy cubes and drained the cutting board.

So: is it usable? I hadn't wanted to make a soup. The two things I planned were this butternut squash casserole to take to the in-laws on Thanksgiving, then a savory butternut tarte tatin for the two of us over the weekend. I'd expect the tarte tatin to be more picky in terms of starting texture, so I still harbor a hope of using the other squash for that, but if the cubes from this one are too soggy to be part of a casserole, I know what I must do. Either dish, I'll be pre-roasting the squash, so maybe it won't matter too much. Or maybe it will ruin the casserole and the in-laws will judge me :-(

Anyone here have any input? Advice? Reassurance? Warnings?

submitted by /u/rabbithasacat
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/35JGJJF

Comments