Chintan/clear chicken stock, is 12h just under a simmer too long?

I've got several kg of chicken bones, carcasses and other scraps and would like to cook out a nice clear stock with ramen-like aromatics added in the last hour (garlic, ginger, scallion whites, leek, cabbage etc). in most cases i'd let this go 5-6 hours max, just below a simmer for a gentle extraction and maximum clarity.

I would like to start it now but it's about 10:30 pm where I am, so preferably I'd like to get it set and let it go until morning when I can then finish it. My pot is huge so with a low input temp I'm not expecting water level or burning bottom issues while I'm not watching.

What kind of quantifiable differences could I expect between 6 hours and, say, 12 hours? leaving everything else the same, soaking first and tending for the first hour to remove impurities etc. would a 12 hour extraction be for better or for worse, or no noticeable difference and simply unnecessary?

submitted by /u/Mr_Saturn_
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2MTUTB5

Comments