Help with molasses cookies

I’ve tried two recipes for molasses cookies, and both have missed the mark of what I’m hoping for.

Recipe 1 were extremely cakey. I did substitute butter for shortening, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. They domed up significantly, and were quite lacking in flavor. The texture was what I would have expected for a whoopie pie rather than a cookie.

Recipe 2 was for sugar-rolled cookies, dropped by the tablespoon-full rather than rolled and cut. I followed the recipe to a T. The texture was reasonably chewy, but they still had quite a pillowy rise, and lacked the really rich molasses flavor I wanted. Mine were no-where near as dark as their photograph.

If it matters, I used the only molasses option my regular store has, Grandma’s Molasses. There is a whole foods near by which may have other options, but I haven’t made the trip out there yet and am unsure if the specific molasses is the problem of if it’s a recipe issue.

My goal is dark brown, very chewy cookies. I would ideally like to be able to make them into rolled and cut cookies. Any suggestions for how to accomplish this?

submitted by /u/Lovelyfeathereddinos
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2n6lEsb

Comments