Why did this chef fry his fish bones, before using it to create a fish broth?

So, I recently came across this little gem of a cooking channel and it's one of my favourites! (Sometimes the music is a bit too Chinese and loud, but I might just be saying that since I'm Chinese too. XD)

However, he did something I've never seen or even heard of before.

He fried the fish in oil, before using it to create a fish broth for a bowl of noodles.

Why would he fry the fish bones first? Is it to create a more smokey broth? Would it intensify the flavour? How come I've never heard or seen this, because I've travelled around quite a bit and eaten a lot of Chinese food all over the world and other cuisines, but I have never come across this in any culinary culture. The video in question is in the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j9IK4cNvbY

submitted by /u/Fear_Sama
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2Lb7U8v

Comments