My masa corn tortillas are coming out tough like shoe leather instead of soft and supple like... corn tortillas.

My goal is to make some tortilla chips from “scratch”. However, I’m unable to reproduce a tortilla that I would consider a good starting point similar to chips I make from store-bought tortillas. Maseca (white and green bag) and water have been the main ingredients — although I’ve also tried different variations of salt and baking powder as well.

My most successful process has been:

  • masa, water, salt, and baking powder kneaded for 5 mins then covered in a wet paper towel for 60mins in order to allow the corn flour to hydrate

  • 1.2-1.5g balls of dough pressed that the edges aren’t cracked. If cracked, I’ll add water to my fingers before rolling and pressing again

  • Heat cast iron up to the high 400° range. 45 second/flip/60s/flip/30s/flip/45s for 3 minutes tota before removing from heat to cool for 60 minutes either air-dried or in a tea towel

  • 375° oil that drops to 350° for 90-120 seconds.

The 2 main differences between mine vs. store-bought chips are:

a.) softness out of the bag - which I’m never able to achieve. My tortillas, for lack of a better term, feel ‘leathery’.

b.) when I fry them and a chip forms the large bubble, after I let it rest, store-tilla bubbles are crispy and delicious whereas mine as tough and you need to rip through it like jerky.

At this point I’m not sure whereabout in the process that I’m going wrong. It feels like a moisture problem - somewhere - but I’m not sure which variable I need to change to fix it properly. Any helpful suggestions or thoughts for me to try?

Thanks.

submitted by /u/BurnerAcctNo1
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2Zntuzt

Comments