Goya's Pasta de Achiote--same as achiote paste/powder?

So I have a recipe I want to make (grilled chicken tortas) and it calls for achiote paste. I go to the store and pick up a jar that literally says "pasta de achiote: achiote paste" on it. This jar says its only ingredients are lard colored with annatto.

However, Google seems to say that actual achiote paste is made from annatto powder with a variety of spices. The achiote paste in the recipe is for marinating chicken breasts, and the recipe says to take 2 oz of the paste and mix it with the spices that the premade stuff Google is showing me would already be mixed with, which leads me to believe maybe the recipe meant powder?

Anywho, question is, are these two different things? How do I convert 2 oz of a powder to the semi solid lard stuff I bought? I am very lost here.

Link to recipe if needed: https://www.bhg.com/recipe/guy-fieris-grilled-chicken-tortas-with-chipotle-crema/

submitted by /u/SometimesIpaintstuff
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge http://bit.ly/2XgGIZF

Comments