Beef wellington fell apart when slicing

Not really sure what I did wrong or how to avoid this? Both the beef and pastry were pefectly cooked but when I tried to slice it, everything sort of fell apart and I had to basically plate up beef tenderloin with a side of pastry and duxelles...

The duxelles seemed to be the problem as they meant there was no friction between the pastry and beef. In fact when I sliced one end off, much of it just fell out. I had made sure it was quite dry by cooking off the liquid and leaving it in the fridge for a while.

The layers of my BW were beef, mustard, duxelles, fyllo, puff. I used a sharp knife and originally tried slicing as i would cut the tenderloin itself but seeing how bad it worked, I then tried making a vertical incision in the middle and slicing outward, to minimise horizontal cuts.

I've never had this in a restaurant but surely they plate it nicely? Or is it one of those dishes like lasagne that can never be plated as well as in pro shoots?

submitted by /u/lontach
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge http://bit.ly/2XmBziM

Comments