What happens if you boil water in a pot with the lid held tight?

This is an abstract, hypothetical question: When melting chocolate in a water bath (i.e. holding one pot over another pot with boiling water) the pots I use are equally sized, so unless I hold it up, the upper pot would form a sort of seal over the lower pot.

What would happen if the pot is left on top of the lower pot, and held down, thus not allowing any steam to escape? (or boiling water in a pot and holding the lid tight on top of it?)
I imagine eventually the pressure would be catastrophical and I'm therefore always nervous about letting the pot stand on the lower pot for more than a few seconds, but I'm intrigued as to what would actually happen? Could the pot explode in a deadly explosion? Or am I being dramatic?

And just to be clear: I never do this, just to be safe, but the physics of it fascinate and frighten me.

submitted by /u/israelregardie
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge http://bit.ly/2XXvnxH

Comments