Looking into buying whole spices rather than pre ground: how do you grind yours?

Hi! As the title says, I'm wondering what methods there are to grind up whole spices.

Currently I use bargain brand pre-ground spices due to time and budget constraints (think of those McCormick bottles, but reeeeaaaally cheap), and while they smell good, I have to use like a half a bottle to get any flavor at all. I've also learned that if you find the right market, whole spices can be very cost effective and flavorful. Fortunately we have a large variety of Middle Eastern, Mexican, Indian, Asian, and other world markets with spices here.

Now to grind up the spices, I am aware of only food processors and mortar & pestle (I currently own neither). Now I'm sure there are some spices better suited to one or the other, or even different tools. For example, I imagine things like allspice berries and cinnamon are a little harder on a food processor than mortar and pestle? Anyway, how do you grind up your spices? Does it take too much longer than just using pre ground spices? To make it more time effective I plan on grinding up a bit of the spice for a whole week, and then doing another batch when it runs out, rather than grinding up just a bit for each meal. What other insights do you have for a total newbie?

submitted by /u/YerTallNuff
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge http://bit.ly/2GQDdDy

Comments