How To Pick A Set Of Whetstones?

Hello!

I recently bought a Whetstone when I got excited about sharpening my knives and didn't even look at the grits. I went and checked after my joy had subsided and found out that I bought a 120/240. From my understanding this is a really course grit and will remove a lot of metal and isn't really for making a "sharp edge". I'm looking to buy another one which I can use to finish an edge. Will a 1000/6000 produce a very sharp edge?

Additionally i bought some practise knives which are cheap stainless steel, I've heard these aren't practically sharpenable. Is this true? I'd like to get some practise in before moving to more expensive knives.

All help is appreciated!

Cheers,

submitted by /u/CanIRetireat30
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge http://bit.ly/2GOEo6q

Comments