Fresh Poblano Chilis - what am I doing wrong, how can I make it right ?

A few years ago I picked up a poblano pepper for the first time. I took it home, scraped the seeds out, and diced it. I added it to the chili I was making. When I make chili and vegetable soups I have this method where I cut up all of my ingredients, but I put them in the pot in small increments, probably in thirds. It helps me build flavor and gives me really wonderful textures. I do it with anything, from potato, to even the spices and herbs I cook with. I am sure it's a culinary faux pas, and I have no clue why I cook this way, but I always have. An example would be, if I mince 6 garlic cloves then I put two in my pot in the beginning, 2 more cloves in 15 mins, and then the rest maybe 5 minutes before serving.

So, I was working with poblanos at home for the first time and decided to add them to my chili, I split the ingredients and added half in the beginning and the rest maybe 5/10 minutes from serving. I don't know why, but it added incredible flavor. The poblano had absorbed some salt, they still held together and had a nice texture. It imparted an almost smoky quality to my chili I had never captured before. A touch of spice. It set my often times perfect chili recipe over the top. The texture at that temp they were cooked to reminds me of nopal.

I've tried to recreate it maybe 3/4 times now and haven't even been able to get close. I haven't even gleaned any flavor from using the Poblano. I haven't found the right temp to get that nopal texture. If I add it too soon it falls apart and I am left with the curled up skins which isn't desirable. Am I picking out peppers that aren't very flavorful? This is the only thing I can think of. That maybe that one pepper was just really nice and the stars aligned.

I got another poblano today, going to try again, tomorrow. How to I get it to do what I want? They seem to fall apart quickly in a simmer. Would julliening the chili and sitting it salt water for a couple hours before I start cooking be worth a try ? Any other ideas to get flavor and texture out of such a beautiful pepper?

submitted by /u/GleepGloopGlop
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge http://bit.ly/2XSjyJ0

Comments