Can someone help me understand whole grain basmati and jasmine rice?

I am researching different types of rice and I've found conflicting information. We all know that plain white rice has been polished, and thus had the husk, bran, and germ removed. Plain brown rice is the same rice, but unpolished, so the husk has been removed, but it still has the bran and germ.

What I am confused about is Basmati rice. Someone told me that Basmati rice is white (or at least off-white) even when it is only husked and still has the bran and germ, so in that sense it isn't "brown rice" (which is what most people say to refer to all forms of unpolished rice, which is contributing to my confusion). They also told me that what is sold as "Brown Basmati Rice" is actually a hybrid form of rice, created from a cross of Basmati rice and brown rice, and that is what makes it brown. I haven't been able to find any further information on this and whether or not it is true.

They also said that Basmati rice from India will be at least partially unpolished, because the Indian government has placed restrictions on how much rice can be polished, to try to help prevent people from getting beriberi. Again, I haven't been able to find any more information on this and whether or not it is true, and if it is true, how much they limit the polishing of rice.

I am also confused about Jasmine rice. It seems like unpolished Jasmine rice may actually be a brown color (but still different from what is sold as "Brown Rice"), but I'm not sure if that is true, or if it would also be a more whitish color when unpolished, similar to what Basmati is supposedly like. I'm also not sure if what is sold as "Brown Jasmine Rice" is in fact unpolished Jasmine Rice, or a hybrid from of Jasmine mixed with Brown rice.

Basically, I am trying to figure out what the whole grain forms of these two types of rice are, and if it's possible to source them from anywhere in the US. If anyone has any insights, it would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/CardamomDragon
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge http://bit.ly/2GP0cia

Comments