Is there a point in adding the same ingredient twice at different times for a recipe?

I don't mean spices or salt, where the benefit is self-evident. I also don't mean the same ingredient prepped another way: like fresh peppers being used for a trinity in chili, then adding roasted peppers later. I mean the same ingredient and same prep.

I was mealprepping some tomato soup. I roasted a tray of roma tomatoes at 450F for 50 minutes with salt and oil, then added them to a broth I made with stock and an aromatic base. I let it all stew for 50 minutes while another tray roasts, then add the second wave of tomatoes and blend, add my herbs and simmer briefly.

My thought process is stewing the first tray adds some flavors via additional cooking, then the second tray adds something a little bit fresher near the end.

Is this technique of staggering ingredients something chefs will do, or I should have just added it all at the same time?

My recipe is below:

Ingredients

  • 40 roma tomatoes
  • 2 jalapeno
  • 1 white onion
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 4-6 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 tsp each smoked paprika, cumin
  • 1 tbsp each oregano, basil, parsely (all dry)
  • Salt, pepper

Prep

6 roma tomatoes quartered, flesh scooped out, placed on a baking rack cut-side up, salted, in a 250F oven for 4-5hr to make sundried tomatoes.

Two trays of 15 roma tomatoes, halved and placed cut-side down, with some salt and oil in a 450F oven for 50min to make roasted tomatoes.

4 fresh roma tomatoes, diced. Onion diced, garlic chopped roughly, jalapeno charred (I used a propane grill), skinned, deseeded, depithed.

Recipe

Since the roasted and sundried tomatoes have loads of salt, be cautious seasoning. Over medium in a dutch oven, add 1 tbsp olive oil, add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic, half the oregano, all of the smoked paprika and cumin, the tomato paste. Mix around and cook until the aromatics look brick red. Deglaze with 4 cups stock and reserve the remainder for later.

Add sundried tomatoes, one tray of roasted tomatoes, the fresh tomatoes, jalapenos. Bring up to bubbling then taper to a simmer. Simmer covered for 50min. Add the second tray of roasted tomatoes, then immersion blend smooth.

Add 3 tbsp of olive oil, all the dried herbs, black pepper, then mix well and simmer covered for no more than 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning at the end and adjust with additional stock if texture isn't liquid enough (I had to use only 4 cups, I like 'em thicc).

Makes approximately 8 cups of tomato soup.

submitted by /u/stratzilla
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/RAL3czy

Comments