Gelatin is a weak emulsifier, but, when I reduce stock as aggressively as I do (for easier freezing), I'm not seeing much fat rise to the top as it cools, and since I'm looking for a fat free stock, this concerns me.
My goal is flavor NOT body, so I'm thinking I can weaken it's emulsifying abilities (and ramp up flavor) by ramping up the exposure to heat- especially to browning temps. So, instead of roasting the feet to a pale brown, I'm thinking of going more milk chocolate-y. I'm also thinking of reducing the stock well past the goal volume- effectively making a dark sludge- and then adding water back to give me the volume I want for freezing. Darker = greater gelatin denaturation/greater individual amino count/smaller protein 'tangles'/weaker emulsification, correct?
Thoughts?
I know, I could chill the unreduced stock and then skim the fat off that, but, with the amount of stock I'm making, it's just too much extra work. I'm also not interested in clarification.
[link] [comments]
from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/5IFpuZd
Comments
Post a Comment