What would give pizza a slight smokey flavor?

So I am trying to replicate the flavor of a popular pizza joint that’s about an hour away from me. It has what locals would describe as a bit of a “Smokey” taste.

I know that they use one of those gas conveyor ovens, so I don’t think it’s from the heat source. But the pizza always has a nice leoparding to the bottom, so that may contribute to it giving it some good char flavor.

It also tastes like they use a slightly sharp cheese, so I’m wondering if there is a Smokey/sharp cheese they may use in their cheese blend to get that signature flavor? Looking for a few ideas to try next time I bake some pizzas. It would be nice not to have to drive an hour every time I get a craving for this pizza.

submitted by /u/WonderfulEmergency77
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/IO6MJGu

Comments