Basil Pesto Advice

So one of my favourite recipes from childhood is green pesto. From what I can tell, my mums recipe is pretty authentic and it tastes unbelievable, but I’m going through a phase of trying to min max my Italian recipes and I’m wondering if there’s anything I could do to improve it.

Recipe for two people. All in pestle and mortar:

  • Garlic three cloves raw. Homegrown and they’re a bit stronger than the store bought stuff but also much smaller cloves. This amount packs around the same punch as the same number of chonky store bought cloves.
  • Pine nuts ~1tbsp, toasted lightly until very light brown.
  • Basil from the garden, I do this by feel until it’s green enough and bassilly enough.
  • Parm. Again by feel.
  • EV olive oil added slowly to emulsify the pesto until it’s the right consistency.

My usual serving method is al dente spaghetti, bronze cut of course, following the same techniques I learned from the Roman classics using very starchy pasta water to thicken the sauce a little.

Also if you’ve never made pesto, try this. It’s absolutely amazing. I’m just wondering if there’s anything I’m missing? I don’t mind at all if it’s not authentic, just tell me what tastes amazing.

submitted by /u/thefooby
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/r0wiyk1

Comments