(UK) Planning a Sunday roast (beef) for Mother's day and in search of advice

Hello culinary pals.

As per the title, my mum has had a rough year so I want to make a great meal for mother's day at the end of the month. She loves roast beef, which for those in the UK, a sunday roast is typically a big spread of food - however, I am thinking of focussing on a few components and going for quality rather than quantity.

My plan is below, and I've asked some questions, so thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer!

Beef: The star of the show. I've never cooked beef before, but my intention is to dry brine and then roast to a medium rare. Qs: I do not know which joint of beef to get. My budget is not big but not small, really just whatever is best value I suppose. The second question is how big a joint to get - we will be 6 people eating beef.

Potato: Typically roast potatoes, I am going to be fancy and try making fondant potatoes - I've never made them before but I am keen to try as they look delicious. Qs: What type of potato is best? Any tips for making these or is there a fairly standard method?

Yorkshire puddings: Standard, I won't make these from scratch and will instead purchase ready made

Roasted veg: I'm not sure exactly what veg to do so open to suggestions, potentially roasted carrots or parsnips Q: What veg do you think jumps out and would go really well with this dish?

Sauce/gravy: I'll use the drippings from the beef to make a sauce/gravy, I've not done this from a roasting joint before but regularly make pan sauces from sauteing proteins so I should be okay.

I'm super excited to see any answers and discuss - thanks for reading this far! Have a great day.

submitted by /u/AManWantsToLoseIt
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/SwaPM6i

Comments