Cooking fresh tuna steak rare?

I'm finding a lot of conflicting opinions on the safety of cooking a rare tuna steak from the fresh fish that's sold at a grocery store seafood counter.

Some posts on Reddit say it's safe as long as it's "flash frozen." I called my local Wegmans and Whole Foods, and they said their fresh fish has NOT been frozen. Wegmans said the fresh tuna should not be cooked rare (but I spoke with a second employee who said in reality most customers cook it that way). Whole Foods said it should be fine as long as it's seared on both sides.

Am I being overly cautious? Right now I'm buying pre-packaged frozen tuna steaks, but I feel like I'm sacrificing quality because of unfounded concerns. I mean who buys tuna and cooks it well done...

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thanks.

submitted by /u/SingerStinger69
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/kqj2zlA

Comments