Why is my carbon steel wok still sticking?

My non 3rd non stick wok in 6 years is too damaged to use as a non stick and im getting annoyed having to buy a new wok every other year. So I looked on reddit for an answer and found out that other cookware besides cast iron can be seasoned. I ended up getting a Babish 14in Carbon Steel wok. I didn't realize it was the YouTuber's brand when I bought it, it just had good reviews and the features I wanted, being a watcher of his channel didn't sway me into buying it.

Anyways when I got it I got a steel sponge, scrubbed and washed it for 10ish mins to get rid of whatever dirt and oil came with it packaged. I preheated my oven to 500F, dried off the wok on the stove, wiped it down with canola oil with one rag and got another rag to wipe off the oil. Put it into the oven for 1 hour. Took it out, wiped it with oil and wiped off the oil and did this 3 more times. I let it cool down then I tried cooking an egg. I put 4 Tbsp of canola oil in and let it get near smoking and put the egg in and boom the egg stuck to the bottom. Even after the egg started to brown it still didn't release from the bottom.

I'm not really sure what I did wrong. Even if it's a cheap material or something usually seasoning metals are pretty fool proof.

submitted by /u/pwn3dbyth3n00b
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/8RMSotx

Comments