Oven-cooked tomato sauce: should I never look back to stovetop?

Loosely inspired by this Serious Eats recipe, I recently made a tomato sauce by (1) sautéing some garlic in a Dutch oven, (2) adding roughly chopped/crushed fresh tomatoes and wine, (3) roasting it in the oven at 325F for a few hours with the lid cracked, stirring once, (4) seasoning with salt. If I had more time, I would have lowered the temp and cooked for longer.

Putting the sauce in the oven, I couldn't help but feel like I was betraying my Italian-American father, who would assiduously simmer and stir his sauce on the stovetop all day Sunday.

Is there any advantage to the stovetop method over the oven method? It seems like the temperature of the sauce is going to be more consistent with the latter, and it apparently requires less stirring. Traditionalists, what am I missing?

submitted by /u/new_grass
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/G4yaksA

Comments