Creme brulee is getting a thick film when in the oven

Hello, people who are better than me in the kitchen! I've been making creme brulee for some family friends a lot recently, and it's usually turned out well. The last two times though, I noticed that the creme brulee was getting almost a caramelized, thick film on the top. (This is in the initial bake, before adding sugar and torching.) It's still tasty, and the actual cream below is fine, but I can't figure out why it's getting that crusted top.

I bake it at 325, in a water bath about half-way up to the ramekins, on the lowest shelf of the oven. This film develops even after a few minutes of baking. My first thought is that the oven has maybe been running higher? Other than that, I can't think of anything I've done differently.

edit: I should add that the sides of the ramekins get messy in the oven, too. It almost looks like some of the cream rising in the oven, baking onto the sides, and leaving a web-like crust on the ramekin rim.

submitted by /u/Hail_Yoorself
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/1ZiADEB

Comments