I decided to season my skillet a 2nd time after a while and it become more sticky? Why is my skillet stickier after seasoning? And how can I get a non-stick skillet back? (Please read post)

I could tell my skillet wasnt like it use to be after being put in the dishwasher by some of my relatives so I decided to oil it up with olive oil (after they said they allegedly washed it) and put it in the oven a 2nd time.

I put the oven on low because we had to take a quick covid test, and decided to turn it up to high when we got home. I left it in there for about 2-3 hours and let it cool in the oven for about 2-3 hours. When I took it out it was still (slightly) warm but it looked shiny and new so I thought it might be ready.

So I let it cool down to room temperature out of the oven and cook an egg on it. I put it on the stove, spray some olive oil and fry an egg.

The egg didnt move initially when I cracked it before I put a lid on, and about 1½minutes later it completely bubblled up on the spot (yolk was still orange) , so I thought It was ready, yolk runny, white bubbly(?) etc. I get a steel spatula and try to remove it from the pan... I couldnt.

The base was stuck to the skillet; rock hard, i tried chiselling away at it with my spatula and it did not move. So I boiled some water and let it soak in it for a couple of minutes, after I got back I tried to scrap it off with my spatula a 2nd time and it did, but only whilst leaving an egg marked stain on my skillet. So I soaked that in hot water and tried to scrap it of a second time and I think I scaped some of the patina off as well since when I did a small black shiny chip scraped off.

Now Im stuffing up in more ways than one, Ive got a really sticky skillet with a bit of the patina chipped off and I dont know how to restore it. I searched up why it could be more sticky after I seasoned it and one of the reasons was "Oil Build-up"? I thought Id ask this subreddit what your opinion was on that diagnosis.

So now Im afraid to season it a second time (because of 'oil build-up', Im trying to fix the small area without patina, and Im trying to get a non-stick skillet back.. what do I do in order to do that?

submitted by /u/joshua_you-ng
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/31fLduS

Comments