Vegetarian Jello Fail

The past few days, I have been attempting to make vegetarian jello, and after a few days of research, I came to the conclusion that I would need to purchase some pectin powder, and calcium powder (as a substitute for the gelatin).

I followed this recipe: https://onemamasdailydrama.com/lemonade-jello-recipe/ And I used grape juice.

Everything went fine, until I checked on my jello a bit after putting it in the freezer. Part of it was just turning to ice, while the thicker parts were on their way to become a jello consistency. I decided to put it in the fridge, instead, for fear of the entirety of the liquid turning into ice.

I soon went to bed, and the next day I woke up to find that the jello never reached a good consistency, despite the fact that it had had around 10 hours to set.

It was a bit wobbly when lightly touched, but it wasn't at all solid like jello.

It was very liquidy.

I have been researching, and I can't figure out what went wrong.

Is something wrong with the recipe?

Some sources said that sugar needs to be added when using powdered pectin, but the recipe doesn't call for sugar...

I assume that it is something that I missed, but I can't figure out what that could be.

I have so much pectin and calcium powder, I really don't want them to go to waste.

Any help (or leads as to where I can find help) would be greatly appreciated! <3

submitted by /u/TheoDave
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3chY2ar

Comments