How to change a normal brownie recipe to vegan?

Hello! I want to create a vegan version of my brownies recipe and i have failed at my firsts two attempts. The recipe is this one:

1 cup ap flour 2/3 cup cocoa powder 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon expresso powder 1 1/2 cup white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 4/5 cup butter (180 gr), melted 3 eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla

I mix the cocoa powder and the melted butter and add the sugars. Then I add the eggs one by one until completely mixed, I add the vanilla an keep beating in medium until the mixture is creamy. In another bowl I sift the flour, salt and expresso, I whisk them by hand and I add them to the butter mixture, mixing until just combined. I bake it in a 8 inch metal square pan, 35 minutes at 350 F.

  1. The first attempt was with 3/4 cup of mashed banana and melted coconut oil as the same amount of butter. The procedure was the same and I used some coconut oil to grease the pan. After 10 minutes or so of baking, the batter started to bubble a lot and when I took it out, the brownies were very flat, hard on the sides, extremely oily and chewy. Unedible.

  2. In the second one I used 3 flax eggs (3 tablespoon flax seed meal and 9 tablespoons water) and again, the same amount of butter in coconut oil. It reached a creamy stage and the batter looked and felt the same as the original recipe, but when baking, it started bubbling a lot again and in the end I had flat, overly oily and fudgy, hard on the sides and the bottom brownies. They were like undercooked, but this time they tasted good, if you don’t take in count the texture lol

So I want to know what may be affecting the recipe and which ingredients can be the best to substitute the original ones, even if I have to change the ratios in my recipe. I think that it can have something to do with the fact that I’m not using eggs.

Notes: - I have used coconut oil in my original recipe, in place of butter as a 1:1 substitute. The brownies were great, with only a light change in flavor. - I would like to not use vegan chocolate bars, as it is very hard to find in my city.

submitted by /u/Wow_SoMuchDoge
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2w4qJFl

Comments