Sous vide BBQ brisket came out like pastrami

So I tried to make BBQ brisket sous vide using this recipe as a guide:

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-brisket-1

135F for 48 hrs. It came out very chewy, the fat/collagen doesn not appear to have rendered/broken down, and also had a flavor similar to pastrami. The brisket I used was a 2lb piece of the flat so I scaled down the salt amounts accordingly. Also, I replaced the kosher salt entirely with smoked salt, since I would be finishing in the oven, not a smoker. I also added smoked paprika, garlic powder, ground chipotle powder, and cumin to the rub. I got the meat from an international supermarket, so I don't know if the quality is the same as brisket from a normal supermarket. It was cut to that size and I think it's supposed to be used for homemade pho or something. It looked really good though and it was choice grade so I don't think that was a factor. This is what it looked like:

https://i.imgur.com/KnOhF7v.jpg

I'll definitely make reubens out of it, but this was supposed to be a trial run for a brisket I'll be making for a superbowl party. How do I make it taste like BBQ? Should I just omit all the spices I added? What time/temperature would be better to make it less chewy? I've seen other recipes that say 155F, but those recipes usually include the tri tip/point, which is more resilient to overcooking. I've already bought a flat brisket and am worried that temp would dry it out. Anyone have any experience or good results with the flat at other times/temps?

submitted by /u/RevolutionaryDrawer3
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2RGqp7Z

Comments