Substitute for onions that aren't actually eaten

I use a turkey recipe from America's Test Kitchen every year that has me put the turkey on a wire rack, on top of a pan filled with chicken broth and various vegtables--carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and thyme. The vegetables aren't actually eaten--they are discarded when the turkey is done. I am assuming that they are there to add flavor to the turkey aromatically.

I have a guest coming who get migraines from onions, so I would like to leave them out. Do I replace the onions with anything? I saw that leeks and shallots are typically used as onion substitute, but it seems like in those replacements, the replacement vegetable is actually eaten.

submitted by /u/weatherdt
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/37CFaP9

Comments