Make-ahead gluten and dairy free apple pie?

I am going to make a gluten and dairy free apple pie for Thanksgiving and am trying to figure out the best way to prep ahead to deal with limited time the morning of. I know that I can freeze the crusts and I’ve read that I could make the whole pie, freeze it, and then bake the day of. But here’s where I am just not sure how best to proceed. Making the whole thing ahead and freezing would be awesome, but will it hold up? And if I am doing an egg wash on the bottom before I put the filling in, will freezing affect that? Would it be best to prep all the pieces, freeze separately, and put together the morning I’m going to bake? The recipe calls for most of the filling to be poured over apples and then the rest to be brushed over the lattice before baking. Will freezing the filling mess up the consistency? So many questions! I’ve never baked an apple pie before or made crust from scratch. Throw in the gluten and dairy free needs and how that affects everything and I’m lost! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love baking and I’m excited for the challenge but I only have one chance before Thanksgiving Day. :)

submitted by /u/tinybeautiful
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2snaBNz

Comments