Seasoning Cast Iron - What am I doing wrong?

I've been having issues seasoning my cast iron. So I read all about it, and spent all last week building up the seasoning on my 12" Lodge.

I used a copper metal brush to scrape ALL of the seasoning off, all of the rust. Dried completely. Poured a thin layer of canola, wiped it off. Cooked for 1 hour at 450F. Repeated the Canola/Cook every day for a week. It looked BLACK and SHINY and AWESOME.

Okay, so this morning I felt like cooking bacon. Put in 4 slices, cold, turned on the heat to medium. Used my infra-red thermometer to keep the heat at 350-375 (so it doesn't start smoking the bacon fat and set off my fire alarm), and lowered the heat each time it got past 400.

The bacon cooked awesome, never stuck to the pan. I used a baster to pull out excess fat every so often. I used silicone-tipped tongs to move the bacon around.

Once it was done and the pan cooled for about 20 minutes, I put it under water and washed the pan very gently. Nothing but a sponge. All of that beautiful blackness was gone, I saw orange. I dried it off, looked more orange. I put it on the stove to fully dry, and it's all rusty. The seasoning is gone.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I cannot spend this much time seasoning my pans all week long just for one cook. This is absurd.

submitted by /u/Multipoptart
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/337pJfs

Comments