Attempting vegan diplomat cream: would carrageenan be appropriate to substitute for gelatin (and other questions)?

I've tried searching for vegetarian replacements for gelatin, but couldn't find anything specifically about pastry creams.

But I did find a few sources saying carrageenan would be the best replacement for puddings/dairy-based desserts which seems close enough (at least, compared to agar powder). Does anyone have any experience in this area? Is there a better substitute I could use?

Also, any other advice would be appreciated. My understanding is that I need 1) pastry cream 2) whipped cream and 3) gelatin.

For 1, I'm thinking of doing something as suggested within https://www.exceedinglyvegan.com/vegan-recipes/baking-desserts/easy-vegan-mille-feuille-home-made-custard, using cashew milk, vanilla extract, sugar, and cornstarch. It seems relatively straightforward but what confuses me is that there seems to be no replacement for the egg that's in traditional pastry cream. I realize I can't expect it to be exactly the same but will it still be roughly similar to pastry cream even without the egg? Most vegan pastry cream recipes I've found online are very similar.

For 2), I'm going to follow https://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-coconut-whipped-cream/, with coconut milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.

And then 3) is still undecided as stated above, but current plan is carrageenan.

submitted by /u/tanqueraysolace
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/34l7JOR

Comments