My pizza dough is very, very, sad

I've been trying to make pizzas at home, but I can't seem to get the dough right at all. I'm roughly following Basics with Babish' pizza recipe, but I'll write down what I did here in the exact values it ended up being.

I'm going to explain what I did in detail so someone can perhaps spot my mistake:

So, starting with the dough:

  • ~510g flour (regular all-purpose flour from Albert Heijn)
  • 350ml water
  • 12g salt (I ran out before getting to 16g)
  • 4g active-dry yeast

During my first attempt the no-knead recipe didn't work at all, so this time I kneaded. I mixed it together and kneaded it for over 10 minutes. This is a 70% hydration dough so I know it's supposed to be somewhat sticky, but I could never get even close to a consistent dough ball. Eventually I just put it in the bowl to rise. I did the kneading on an unfloured kitchen top, to avoid working more flour into it.

I let it rise for 24 hours, at room temperature. It was relatively warm, reaching up to 30 C during the day. I noticed that it did rise, but then collapsed again.

This is where the problems started.

By the time I took the dough out of the bowl, it seemed way more sticky and fluid than it was even at the start of kneading. It was ridiculous, almost more like a really thick stew than dough. I couldn't even remotely hope to cut it into individual pieces, let alone form it into dough balls.

I tried kneading it for a while, trying to avoid crying at the loss of all the air pockets, but I had to do something to get it to be workable. Even after another 10 minutes of kneading, it wasn't staying together enough to cut. I could with quite a lot of effort just barely separate it into 4 parts.

I made an attempt at forming it into a pizza. Forming it into a dough ball just completely failed, it stuck to the table way too much. After covering it in flour and trying to flatten it a bit, I just couldn't pick it up at all to stretch it out. I would pick up a bit and it would just fall apart.

It took working in significant amount of extra flour to get it even remotely close to workable, but it still continued to be very brittle. It kept getting holes in it and in the end it fell apart partially in the oven, basically tearing in two, coating my pizza stone in another layer of burned tomato sauce and pepperoni, ew.

So, what am I doing wrong here? Should I be kneading more? Was the rise too long? Is 70% hydration just too much? I've tried this multiple times now with similar results every time. I'm at my wits end and can't find any information, my dough just seems to be completely different from what other people are getting.

submitted by /u/LaylC
[link] [comments]

from A place to become a better cook and share your culinary knowledge https://ift.tt/2L0Vlg4

Comments